Collection: PART 3 | UNIT 7

Week 22: 12th-18th Feb 18

Study Support

Attending study support allowed me to gain an insight on the subject I could focus on for the unit 7 project. After looking at topics students have addressed in the past, I picked a few which interested me the most such as: marks of growth, body, touch and movement and sense of existence.

From this, I made a mindmap with the academic support lecturer, Pauline.

This activity gave me the opportunity to brainstorm my ideas for each potential subject and I felt that for ‘marks of growth’ I gathered a lot of ideas and was a subject which can provide an ongoing thinking process compared to ‘body, touch and movement’.  

Collected relevant secondary research sources 

I think relationships plays a massive part of growing up, whether that involves relationships with family, friends or a partner: either be a platonic romance or lust.
However, I believe that the relationship that you share with yourself is the most important.
I felt i could incorporate this concept specifically in the project because compared to my previous project when i was focusing on being with another person, what about the idea of being in a relationship with yourself?
Growing up, I was alone most of the time. I had friends but I didnt have any siblings until 2012, when my sister was born unexpectedly, now age 5.
I felt that the
I was anti-social, before university during secondary school and sixth form and I believe my timid, shy and reserved personality was to blame.
I never really felt that affection and appreciation were two important key things to expressing how you feel for someone since, I experienced a lot of conflict with my parents’ divorce.
It wasn’t until I developed a strong bond with my close friendships that I learnt    

file3-1.jpeg.2 file4-1.jpeg.2 

Tutorial with tutor

Screenshot 2018-02-26 18.15.png.1 Screenshot 2018-02-26 18.16.06.png

Tutor Feedback

‘Time’ was a song by Pink Floyd that my friend recommended I listen to as one of the coming of age songs 
The lyrics tell 

Listening to ‘Dark Side of the Moon’

The song ‘time’ 

Lyrics resembles concept of time

Younger have all the time in the world, endless

But when u grow up you want time rushing to find time

But time is dead 

Proposal: Interviews

For the interviews, I chose to document the dialogue through voice recordings to have the exact transcription of each interviewee. This is because I wanted to capture different perspectives and experiences of the interviewees' youth and most important their feelings and emotions they felt at that time.
Interview questions: 
1. What is a album/song that is nostalgic to you and why?
2. What is your most or one of the memorable moments and what has it taught you? 
3. Do you think you’ve experienced first love or love, when and with this experience what makes u believe it is love?
4. What has love taught you about yourself? (this may involve a partner, self-love, friends or family love)
5. Have you experienced any moments of loss throughout your childhood or life?

I believe my ambition was to find similarities in the way people feel when they go through their own hardships and i feel as though talking about their memories and the important moments in their life was a good method to showcasing their feelings.
This is why I chose to ask a broad range of questions rather than specific questions on a topic. The activity of interviewing my friends was something I feel is a good starting point and I think during this I can discover what kind of concept I want to focus on specifically for the final outcome after. 
Thoughts after the first interview
IMG_0662.jpg IMG_0663.jpg     IMG_0664 2.jpg
IMG_1074.JPG IMG_1075.JPG IMG_1076.JPG 
IMG_1077.JPG IMG_1078.JPG IMG_1079.JPG
I think after choosing my interview questions and interviewing my first interviewee, I feel as though its seems like the project is more focused on first love and people may assume that my project is about first love. The reason why I chose to ask about first love is because I think it is part of the process (coming of age) and is one of the many subjects I want to research on.
I chose not to make the project about first love because I haven’t experienced it for myself and I feel that doing something I know nothing about is ignorant.
On the one hand, my friend suggested it can be about the many firsts, rather than focusing on first love as in a relationship, I could explore on first love in terms of first experiences such as, first time travelling alone.

Week 23: 19th-25th Feb 2018

Thoughts on interviewee 4

Interview questions: 

1. I couldn't say one album or song. I go through wild phases in what I listen to and thus each song has a very strong memory attached to it. To name any would be a disservice to the rest.

2. I don't think there have been any moments like that. I think if I did have a memorable moment that taught me anything it would be being in a picturesque scene and being reminded how beautiful the world is.

3. No.

4. I can't say that love has taught me anything about myself.

5. Nope.

I think these answers made my feel slightly agitated, the interviewee didn’t contribute enough with their answers in order to help the project and as a friend, there was a slight disappointment despite expecting 
However, what i learnt from this was that there are interviewees who will not wish to share something too personal to them. 
21/2/18 :  Confusion

What am I actually focusing on?

My initial idea was to address the positive connotations of feeling free and capture that feeling through my work potentially in the final outcome. Capturing that feeling was something I was unsure about 

One research source I came across is a photo called 'Terrors and Pleasures of Falling' by Aaron Siskind.

In my opinion, this showcases both the positive and negative aspects of falling.

I thought this was quite intriguing as it could be a possible concept I could focus on: the joy of letting go but the idea of how too much freedom can lead to a dangerous or many dangerous situations.

However, I felt as though if I were to do this potential concept that I would feel confused.

This is because I would struggle on how I could portray both the good and bad aspects of falling.

Perhaps I could be confusing the viewers and overall, i would be unable to provide a clear message what my project is about because i'm incorporating too much.

From the previous projects, I felt as though I tend to overcomplicate my concepts and have the urge to include so much different aspects all in one making it feel unnecessary and today I felt as though I went through this stage. 

Rather than trying to illustrate both, I should focus on either one was what I thought.

After looking at a similar source to Siskind's photo, I came across the photo called 'Leap Into the Void' by Yves Klein.

Rather than seeing the negative and positive aspects of the image, I saw the image and thought of of how it portrayed more negative connotations.

I started to feel anxious because that imagery was the opposite of what I intended to show. Despite this, I was more interested in the research I discovered, 

Potential concept?

When I look more at both the photographs of: 'Terrors and Pleasures of Falling' by Aaron Siskind and 'Leap Into the Void' by Yves Klein, I saw the image representing the idea of leaping into adulthood as a similarity.

time is running out , rushing to find time 

Realisation & Solution

I realised that the order of what I was doing was wrong and what i should of done was research and find both primary and secondary research sources first, find what i want to focus on specifically and then think of the particular interview questions I would want to ask for my interviewees.

I was in a state of confusion and I felt that attending a study support session again would enable me to think more on what it was I'm doing and why.

In addition, I believe I needed to research more on what the two photographs mean apart from racking my brain out trying to find my own interpretations and what i think about it.

But most importantly, to allow myself to think much more on what it is that interested me the most and from that what i want to focus on in order to provide a more clear thinking process.

Study Support

Study Support

IMG_4297.jpg fullsizeoutput_55f.jpeg

Exhibition Visit

Whitechapel Gallery: Leonor Antunes | Fine Art 

IMG_0094 2.JPG

Screenshot 2018-02-25 16.07.41.png

Notes & Thoughts

I thought of how i want to create something that makes someone feel safe.

What intrigued me about these displays was

Whitechapel gallery shop: postcards

The postcards 

Somerset House Gallery: Eloise Hawser | Fine Art

25/2/18 : Planning

Screenshot 2018-02-25 16.07.14.png

Bibliography: references for project brief 

Screenshot 2018-02-25 16.07.26.png

My potential focus of the project

(NOTE: remember to arrange the books alphabetically)

Aaron Siskind (2003). 55. London : Phiadon Press Limited

Marina Abramovic, et al. Holding Emptiness. 1ªed., 1ª imp edition, CAC Malaga.

Yves Klein: In/Out Studio. Edited by Matthias Koddenberg , Distributed Art Publishers, 22 Nov. 2016.

Gillian Wearing (2001). Wearing. Barcelona : Centro Galego de Arte Contemporánea. 

Gillian Wearing (4 Sept. 2002). Mass Observation. London: Merrell Publishers Ltd.

The Photographer: Wolfgang Tillmans (30 Sept. 2011). Wolfgang Tillmans. Cologne, Germany: TASCHEN Gmbh; Box edition.

Sidra Stich, Yves Klein (1 Jan. 1999). Yves Klein. Cologne, Germany: Hatje Cantz; 01 edition.  

Didier Ottinger (6 Feb. 2017). Magritte: The Treachery of Images. Munich, Germany: Prestel.

Lost of identity is a subject within coming of age that i want to focus my project on. I chose lost of identity because i saw the leaping figures in the sky as my most interesting research sources.

Lost of identity is a subject i wish to explore because i had thoughts on how in current society, teenagers face large amounts of pressure. They confront on a daily basis the many expectations they need to exceed.

From this, I started thinking about what topic i could concentrate on within lost of identity as the subject itself is broad. 

I explored the dark side of what lost of identity could involve. For example, depression and anxiety are two things that many teenagers experience and the idea of suicide.

On the one hand, I feel as though, these topics were sensitive. If i were to go down the route of analysing depression that 

I thought what would be interesting was if i explored lost of identity within first love. But because i have not experienced a first love,

Week 24: 26th Feb - 4th Mar 2018

Lesson: Feedback

IMG_1062.JPG IMG_1073.JPG IMG_5451.JPG.1 IMG_1061.JPG.1

IMG_1063.JPG.1 IMG_1064.JPG

IMG_1065.JPG IMG_1066.JPG

IMG_1067.JPG IMG_1068.JPG

IMG_1071.JPG IMG_1070.JPG

What did today's workshops highlight with in your projects weaknesses? Strengths? 

Have you identified any new materials to explore? 

What changes will you be making to your proposal after the workshop?

Possible further interview questions

Have you ever felt as though you lost your identity through love or a feeling you thought was close to love?

Do you think one would experience lost of identity through love or after their love is over (fallout)?

Do you think teenagers experience lost of identity?

Have you experienced a feeling of loss before? 

What examples of lost of identity can you name?

Does leaping into the sky represent lost of identity? 

Or is leaping in the sky represent the freedom of not feeling lost?  

Alcoholic: cannot control yourself or think of anything. Lose control, when you fall you cannot control yourself, help them to control their feelings and movement. 

Lost of identity is a subject within coming of age that i want to focus my project on. I chose lost of identity because i saw the leaping figures in the sky as my most interesting research sources. Lost of identity is a subject i wish to explore because i had thoughts on how in current society, teenagers face large amounts of pressure. They confront on a daily basis the many expectations they need to exceed. From this, I started thinking about what topic i could concentrate on within lost of identity as the subject itself is broad. I explored the dark side of what lost of identity could involve. For example, depression and anxiety are two things that many teenagers experience and the idea of suicide.

Fascination with the body leaping

ONE - ‘해야해(heyahe)’ M/V | VM Project Architecture

file5.jpeg.2 h3_1992.5112.jpg

Terrors and Pleasures of Falling | Aaron Siskind & Leap Into the Void | Yves Klein

Research workshop

Group activity 1

IMG_1100.JPG IMG_1101.JPG

IMG_1102.JPG IMG_1105.JPG

IMG_1106.JPG IMG_1107.JPG

IMG_1108.JPG IMG_1109.JPG

IMG_1110.JPG IMG_1111.JPG

IMG_1123.JPG IMG_1117.JPG

'Identity' is my group name and is a subject that everyone in my group shares similarities with. In this research workshop, we each bring some research images. We were given tasks  

Looking at other group's research

IMG_1118.JPG.1 IMG_1119.JPG

IMG_1121.JPG IMG_1122.JPG

Group activity 2

Silent -> Noisy

Original -> Distorted

Restriction -> Movement

Physical identity -> mental identity 

Reflective questions:

Did the workshop highlight any aspects of my project that i had not yet considered? 

I think looking at other people's research informed me on new artists and designers that I could incorporate in my body of research and bibliography. For example, the works of Mircea Cantor showcased a group of girls with brooms which relates to my concept on the stages from becoming a teenager to adult specifically, girlhood to womanhood. The research did not particularly move 

Did the workshop highlight any new interpretations my research?

Did the workshop help me identify new areas of research?

Did the workshop change the direction of my project?

Tutorial: looking at project proposal and general concerns

Changes to project proposal

IMG_1140.jpg IMG_1142.jpg

The first paragraph for project concept and description was discussed and the tutor suggested to remove this and start with the second paragraph as the start to make the writing concise and the mention of 'tangible connections' was confusing as the main focus was how young people feel a sense of loss.

Conclusion to what I'm making

IMG_1139 2.jpg 

- Rather than thinking about feeling lost, 'fluctuating identity' is a better name.

- Vulnerable time as a young women leaping into womanhood.

- Want to create something with reassurance and protection.

Questions to think about?

- What materials do you want to experiment with? 

- Is it plastic, metal, padding with metal? 

Study Support

Tutorial & Feedback

I attended the session with the intention of looking at my proposal brief and receive feedback on my concept and evaluation along with any adjustments on grammar, punctuation and spelling. 

My project concept was informative, however the study support tutor suggested I could elaborate further on the project evaluation and add some questions that i could perhaps ask myself whilst i'm evaluating my progress in the project concept and description section and that the project proposal is almost complete.

I was confused as to what questions I could write and the tutor assured me that they can reflect on my thinking. I thought that talking about my project more with her would help with what sort of questions i would ask myself. I started expressing how my ambition was to create something which can protect the wearer, something similar to a parachute.

However, I specifically stated my final outcome will not be a parachute but have the characteristics of a parachute for instance the floating aspects. She suggested for my research I could look at inflatable floats that children use in swimming pools and what are the objects do I think the teenagers need to protect themselves from leaping into adulthood?

"Make a list of objects or things of what you need to feel safe going through adulthood"

I do not wish to design a literal parachute and the tutor asked if I believe a jewellery piece should have a narrative and story, to which i replied that it does. The tutor then suggested I could focus on one of the questions from 'The Learning Outcomes for Unit 7' which is: how will you adapt and use appropriate practical methods and skills for creative production?

Whilst I was having conversations with my tutor, i started to make notes on the potential questions that I could ask myself:

• How do you make something narrative without being literal?
  • Why are you going to look at these artists or designers? 
  • Can I include or what does it mean to me when i'm looking at performance art? 
  • How something is constructed?
  • How are things going to be made? 
  • Who's going to wear it?
  • What materials will I use?
  • What is the difference between making a jewellery piece that brings a literal meaning and a piece of jewellery that brings a metaphoric meaning? (For example, is given by someone who means a lot to you)

The tutor emphasised that with these questions, I do not need to know the answers to the questions. On the one hand, by including these, it gives me the opportunity to engage with my work and research and think along the way whilst i work on the project. From my research, I should think what or how things are constructed? 

After asking where these questions would be written for, do they belong in the project concept or project evaluation section, the tutor then suggested that they would be placed in project concept.

As for project evaluation, I should utilise the questions as a way of possibly asking myself rather than answering the questions. In addition, material researching is something I should mention for instance what materials i wish to use and experiment on. 

What I learnt regarding this session?

In this session, I was surprised that I could write in my project evaluation in a self reflective manner by including questions in the proposal like including questions into the reflection. This informed me that, asking yourself questions as you go along the project is a effective technique to making your idea and concept stronger and shapes the designs that I can make later on which i document visually in my sketchbook. 

Study Support

Tutorial & Feedback

I attended a study support session to look over my proposal once more after making changes from the previous session. The tutor said my writing style is like a reflection entry and that with some of what i've written for my project concept and evaluation, that I should take out the key points and remove or cut out the other unnecessary bits. Also, to write specific, but not definite

Cannot be definite

Project Review           

Before this course, I considered jewellery design as high street jewellery and an accessory which is traditionally small and decorative that is worn for personal adornment or for special occasions, such as weddings. However, my opinion began to change whilst on the curriculum area as I started to appreciate jewellery as a protective shield for the human body both in a metaphoric and literal way. In my opinion, jewellery design can be a large scale sculptural piece of installation around the body and personally, I envision jewellery design as a combination of architecture and textile design on the human body with a deeper meaning rooted from a story or message.

In my previous projects, my research lacked depth and contextual information regarding political issues, religion and cultural references. Therefore, for this project, I want to gain a strong body of research which consists a broad range of relevant contexts that interest me and connect with the issues I want to address. What I personally struggle with the most is deciding on an idea afterwards; however, I feel as though this can be resolved through spending quality time collecting the body of research and to avoid overcomplicating things. 

Project Concept & Description              

In my previous projects, I addressed the theme of relationships by focusing on the idea of having a connection with people and how that strong bond can also be broken. I view this project, ‘Coming of Age’ as an opportunity to address the concept of having a relationship with yourself. I wish to showcase this specifically through a series of interviews with myself and other individuals and address themes such as: conflict, growth, memories and hardships, as they contribute to one’s private and personal experiences. I will document the progression from adolescence to young adult by exploring loss of: identity, innocence and heritage.

I believe that it is crucial to look at works from other disciplines of art, for example I will be visiting the Whitechapel and Barbican gallery to keep myself inspired. I will evaluate themes such as ‘identity’ and ‘growth’ in the exhibitions and any similarities I can find. I will research photography including Yves Klein and Aaron Siskind’s work which showcase a series of leaping figures. The stop motion like image makes me feel like time slowed down and demonstrates freedom, as the sky represents an open space. However, the reality of the image is gravity and how having too much freedom can lead to dangerous consequences, as the figure will eventually fall.

Therefore, my ambition is to make the wearer feel comforted when they take the leap to maturity through embracing their inner loneliness. I hope to convey in my final outcome, a sense of intimacy, independence and sensitivity. I will design a garment or accessory for a young girl/woman which will offer protection and reassurance in a time of fluctuating identity, uncertainty, insecurity and possible conflict. I want to experiment with a combination of materials to convey the qualities of safety and freedom, such as possibly mixing either metal/plastic with fabric.

Week 25: 5th - 11th Mar 2018

• Photocopied parts of the body 
  • Design drawing one each body part
  • Experiment with colour
  • Initial forms and inspiration

Lecture notes:

• Slow design 
  • Students:
  • Maria lisa bourlanges
  • Maria bialse
  • Marjke annama

Model Making

A: Foot/Leg

IMG_0720.JPG IMG_6334.JPG IMG_3431.JPG 

IMG_3994.JPG.2 IMG_8834.JPG  

Took measurements of the foot which included: joint, knee, under knee, calf, around ankle, heel girth (long & short) instep girth, joint/ball girth and foot length. 

Model making

It was a shock in class to suddenly design and make models straight away, although the workshop felt forced, it made sense that we don't have that long to complete the project and I believe that moving through ideas in a fast paced approach with various body parts made me engage with the body more. The activity allowed me to making models for and around the specific body areas and from this allowed me to test what sort of placement I would potential want my final outcome to be located.

I made all the models whilst considering my research specifically my main inspiration of Yves Klein's 'Leaping into the Void' and imagined what the leaping figure would need to wear in order to protect themselves when they fall (reach adulthood) and feel the least amount of pain. 

B: Head/Neck/Shoulder

IMG_5659.JPG IMG_3088 2.JPG.1 IMG_4888.JPG

Body placement: neck 

I feel like the neck is one of the most fragile body parts, the piece was inspired but the idea of a choker but rather than re-creating the black stretch tattoo choker. I wanted to create a large scale piece, the sharp edges resembles to me of knives.  

IMG_4274.JPG.1 IMG_1972.JPG IMG_5299.JPG

Body placement: shoulders 

This model was intentionally on protection and the idea of spikes, for example with a hedgehog and how the skins acts as a protective layer/shield. 

IMG_2743.JPG IMG_6532.JPG IMG_9944.JPG

Modelling for my partner's work   

Body placement: chest

C: Hand/Arm/Wrist/Finger

IMG_1344.JPG.1 IMG_9717.JPG IMG_9555.JPG

Body placement: hand                                                     Unexpected body placement: eyes

I wanted to create something that acts as a glove, i thought rather than making a circular bangle for the wrist, I chose something more geometric hence the triangle shape and that it would be interesting if the design was  replicated and how the piece started off with covering the bottom of the fingers to the knuckles and then the wrist all in one piece, made of loads of the same pieces. 

D: Unexpected/Experimental/Anywhere 

IMG_5927 2.JPG IMG_0025.JPG IMG_0701.JPG

Body placement: ear 

Once the lesson ended, the tutors said some things to kind in mind. Show to the examiner that you can evaluate the work through annotations. Force yourself and think differently. Shake it up to make it unpredictable and discover something different, new direction. 

Week 26: 12th - 18th Mar 2018

Library research 

I have the habit of continuously researching and one of my tutors in the past suggested that this should be avoided, as you keep researching and you end up going nowhere 

Part 3 progression tutorial:

My ideas

I wanted to avoid re-creating Rebecca Horn's 'Mechanical Body Fan' (one of my main inspirations apart from and in response to Yves Klein's 'Leaping Into The Void' photograph) and something literal such as a fan like shape but rather take the aspects of opening and closing into my final design/outcome. Thus, I found the venus flytrap as a motif that representing the idea of opening and closing. What's interesting about the venus flytrap is the trapping structure which acts as a mechanism: the trap prepares to close, snapping shut only if another contact occurs for consumption.

Tutor Feedback

Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 13.53.34.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-19 at 13.53.56.png

YOUR AIM : The emphasis appears to be on adolescence, the change from youth to adulthood and the uncertainty and confusion which accompanies this transition. The leap, the movement and the emergence.

The objective is to construct a large scale, interactive, performance piece intended to translate the loss of childhood, coming of age and perhaps first love.

Action Plan and Advice

With Workflow: 
  • Research - Too much information that loses a focus, requires consolidation into a direct aim to what it is you want to communicate.
  • Reflection - Excellent
Design Development: 
  • Discussion resulted in some focus but the objective of the design is still vague.
  • Try to avoid birds and moths as primary design reference. No flapping of arms to suggest flight. Be careful with a wing reference. The use of feathers and insect references can conjure a up associations with angels : It is not necessarily the connections or types of change you want to suggest in the design.
  • Perhaps include padding to cushion, protect and offer reassurance.
  • You indicated you want to work with large scale, geometric and linear form: determine the scale, weight and construction of this.
  • Test the body harness, experiment how the structure attaches to the arms and harness and resolve the mechanical folding and offer reassurance.
  • Much more drawing of ideas and design is vital.
  • The Venus flytrap is a curious reference, the colour, texture and danger are interesting: Perhaps these considerations should be investigated in your materials research and experimentation.
  • Colour choices and texture samples need to be resolved also. For example, blue gingham print: gives off a fresh young girl clothing/feeling.   

file3.jpeg.3 file2.jpeg.3

What feedback did you get from your project review?

I began my project concept thinking about nostalgia. I was thinking about doing a project based on looking back at the past events with melancholy feelings. I wanted to showcase the idea of a journey which involves the progression of being a young adolescent to a adult however, I was unsure how I could put this idea into a specific theme. After given suggestions by tutors, my theme has narrowed down to a name change, 'Coming of Age'. A concept which explores the action of leaping into adulthood, jumping into the unknown whilst embracing the fear that comes with it and trying to protect oneself whilst taking that leap.

Although, I have looked at 'Coming of Age' as a broad subject and researched different sub subjects within the topic in my research before choosing my specific theme: fluctuating identity, I feel like this specific theme has a lot more areas which I want to discover, thus this theme still requires a lot of design development in terms of construction. 

What suggestions were you given about your concept and how will you improve it?

I was suggested to look mainly into textures and colours for the project. In my work I rarely used any of the two and was encouraged to incorporate print such as gingham or bright and bold colours which were seen in my sketchbook with my research responses. 

Research about different types of growths that are not only existent on the body. My initial project title was 'Nostalgia', some tutors like it, however others felt that it was a term used for elderly people or adults rather than young adults and teenagers. I thought that 'Coming of Age' was a more suitable term and I think what's nice about the project title and the project in general is how relatable it can be for myself and the people around me (similar age group).  

Material Research tutorial

I attended a material research session with a tutor because I aim to combine materials for my outcome. After looking at Rebecca Horn's installation pieces which are made out of fabric and metal, I decided I will potentially use those two materials for my outcome. The tutor gave me general information on how to sue the material research library as I stated it was my first time using the facilities. I addressed how I want to use stretchy fabric and also possible something waterproof or suitable for outdoors. 

file.jpeg.1 file1.jpeg.3

I think my vision was to create something that looks heavy but in reality, it is not. When the tutor suggested on using wood, I thought that I would want to avoid wood because of the weight and would defeat the purpose of the wearer feeling free because what they wear is not light. The tutor then suggested to ask a technician what type of metal is suitable and if it will be in the form off metal rods or poles. In addition, that I look into the mechanism of a umbrella and camping tents to help figure out how I can construct my design.

Images which I will look at for design development:

Image result for mechanism of umbrella Image result for mechanism of umbrellaImage result for setting up a tent

What I learnt from this session? 

I feel as though researching for materials which could potentially be used for the final outcome at this stage was something which was quite rushed, I think this was because I was worried about the amount of time I have left for the project overall. However, the fact the tutor suggested I do design development and a final sketch including a technical drawing to showcase how large what I'm making will be, emphasised to me the importance of size and scale and how important those two factors are. This is because not only will it provide guidance for technicians, when I ask for there advice but it will also enable me to produce the outcome in a more smooth and efficient manner considering I will be independently be working during the easter holidays. This advice was also given to me during the part 3 progression tutorial from my tutor, thus I will start sketching various initial ideas and come with a conclusion of a final design from one of those initial ideas before material researching. 

Study Support

Individual Tutorial Feedback

file5.jpeg.3 file6.jpeg.3

Design Development 

I wanted to avoid re-creating Rebecca Horn's 'Mechanical Body Fan' and something literal such as a fan like shape but rather take the aspects of opening and closing into my final design/outcome. 

Week 27: 19th - 25th Mar 2018

Classmate removed the metal mechanism of a umbrella and this inspired me to replicate the same technique as a experimentation and discover the umbrella by removing the parts and unravelling the structure.

Initially, I wanted to make my own umbrella mechanism but I believe using an existent umbrella will make 

'Hats' Workshop

file.jpeg.3 IMG_1921.jpg file2.jpeg.5

Questions to consider:
  • How are people going to respond to your idea? (Aiming for a reaction but people may perceive it differently.) 
  • How would the audience react if they had to interact with the piece? 

The Umbrella

IMG_2986.JPG IMG_1754.jpg IMG_0523.JPG IMG_8794.JPG 

Open and close aspect

Removing the metal component and mechanism of a umbrella

Tutorial Feedback:

Material Research Examples

- Suggestions on what material the fabric can be made of:

• Parachute silk bought from 'Ebay'/'Amazon'
  • Semi-transparant fabric (similar to a chiffon)
  • Nylon

- Suggestions on what material the base/structure can be made of:

(Apart from metal, consider wood or plastic)

• Balsa wood 
  • Own tubes from old parachute 
  • Channels dowing
  • Clear plastic tubbing bought from 'Penton Vile Rubber'
  • Perspex tubes
  • Perspex rods which come in a variety of colours e.g. neon and clear.

IMG_1914 2.JPG

Concerns & Design Development

• Important suggestion to simplify the final idea. Why? : Main concern is timing, and whether a garment made for the whole body is achievable. 
  • Only focus on arms or upper body (targeting a certain part of the body rather than tackling the whole body.)
  • Sketch more initial ideas or do a design development process to have a variety of designs which will commit to a realistic final idea to be made.
  • When designing, think about where at the body can you open up? : unfolding the legs from the knees
  • Scale and weight : perspex is a good suggestion over metal and wood as it is the lightest

Responding to Tutor Feedback

IMG_7524.JPG IMG_1918.JPG

Model Making | PLASTIC

- Experimentation: Perspex Rods

IMG_4073.JPG IMG_7948.JPG IMG_5798.JPG 

5m clear perspex rod

hand sand with a finger sander and using a screwdriver, creates a hole 

Trying to re-create a similar umbrella mechanism out of plastic

Main aim was to experiment with both metal and plastic and compare which material is more suitable for my design on top of considering the opening and closing mechanism which is a important aspect in the design and is something that I’m willing to push, to enable the wearer to interact with the garment transforming it into a accessory for protection.

Problems & Issues: 

I have considered my tutor’s suggestion on using perspex apart from metal and although the metal technician already mentioned it being brittle, i still experimented and tried using the material.

IMG_7279.JPG IMG_7440.JPG IMG_4942 2.JPG IMG_1132.JPG

To conclude, the perspex rod is very high maintenance. The thickness of the plastic needs to be of a certain amount, if i sand it too thinly, drilling a hole will easily break the piece.

IMG_7089.JPG IMG_4712.JPG IMG_3815.JPG 

Once sanded with the correct thickness and drilled, the piece once wrapped around thick metal wire also breaks. Therefore, I tried a thin wire but the thickness makes holding the perspex rods very fragile and not as strong. 

Model Making | METAL

- Experimentation : Umbrella Mechanism Models | Thin Steel Rods

IMG_8276.JPG.1 IMG_4800.JPG

Existing steel compartments removed from a umbrella 

Model 1                                                                                                   Model 2:

B0C342E6-9DA1-4D02-AF1A-F33CA351003D.JPG D7F6C4C3-AB09-42C3-8E2B-2B710624EF5A.JPG

Model 1 - Option 1: 

IMG_9476.JPG IMG_1883.JPG IMG_1884.JPG IMG_1885.JPG.1

Right shoulder | FRONT view

IMG_1904.JPG IMG_1905.JPG IMG_1906.JPG

Right shoulder | BACK view

Model 1 - Option 2: (Upside Down)

IMG_1887.JPG IMG_1888.JPG IMG_1890.JPG IMG_1891.JPG

Right shoulder | FRONT view 

IMG_1900.JPG.1 IMG_1901.JPG.1 IMG_1902.jpg

Right shoulder | BACK view

Model 2 - Option 1:

IMG_1897.jpg IMG_1898.jpg IMG_1899.jpg

Left shoulder BACK VIEW 

Feedback: Tutorial & Conclusion

I was concerned that my designs, the models i made from the existing umbrella mechanism resembled bird's legs or wings which were references my tutor suggested i avoid during the progression tutorial. Thus, I decided to ask the same tutor for advice and feedback. The tutor said everything was fine and the design was not going in the direction of 'flapping' and bat wings which open and close from the shoulders and back and there was nothing to worry about.

The metal mechanism from the umbrella must be finished well at a high standard. Perhaps spraying the metal to add some colour and cover up the holes. Another method of covering the holes is to stitch through them, covering them with thread. Figure out a method of attaching the pieces together sophisticatedly. 

Best solution 

existing mechanism 

making my own unsuccessful and complex design

with timeframe given, not possible. 

up cycling the design

The umbrella mechanism is a existing part I chose to use for my design, with two latches i attached the two by holding the two pieces together with thin steel wire which was inserted through the two holes already on the latches. Using the piece of wire allows the opening and closing mechanism to work, I tried spot welding the two latches together however this prevents that opening and closing mechanism to function which is a important aspect I wish to address in the design.

What I learnt?

From this, I’ve learnt that attachment is vital as it controls how the base will move and it should be carefully considered. I have to find a method of attaching the base which is not only professional and provides a nice finish but can be stable as the existing mechanism is cheap and flimsy.

What to do when making the base?

Things to keep in mind: 

To elongate the latches and enlarge the size whilst still using the pieces, i need to remove the thin wire which acts as a hinge  it requires cutting them in half and attaching a copper coated steel rod.

With the copper coated steel rod, I can scratch the copper off to reveal the silver colour underneath to match with the colour of the metal seen on the latches overall.

Then I would have to insert that extra piece of wire which acts as a hinge that i removed before back into the latch. 

Insert a extra piece of wire from the shoulder to the body in order to make the moving mechanism completely possible, so as the body moves so does the pieces. 

• Size and scale
  • A sophisticated method of attachment
  • The professional finish
  • The design, uncertain on how it will look like in the end 
  • With inserting a thick piece of copper coated steel rod to enlarge the pieces adds weight. This is a worry because I wanted to create the illusion that my outcome looks heavy but is actually the opposite (in reality, lightweight), not sure if this will be achievable. I don’t know if the weight will make the existing latch stronger but whilst making, i hope to ask the technician or find out for myself. 
  • With the time frame given, can i complete making the whole base for my outcome before the 3D workshop closes? 

Making the Shoulder and Arm Metal Bases: 

Extending the umbrella mechanism model

In the workshop, I continued making the other mechanism for the left arm. This involved spot welding my  Umbrella mechanism broke, p

creating my own hinges, rather than making it out of a metal disc which can be folded and a extending rod

found simplified method of a rod with hoops from both ends which creates that opening and closing mechanism yet still secure and strong

recreating the umbrella mechanism models but physically cutting the hinges off to attach the new hinges

attachement sorted: binding wire 

making a bend on the end of the arm attachment, initially wanted to spot wield on both ends but using a tweezer squeezed the piece of metal together. 

What I will do to finish the shoulder and arm metal bases?  

I will sand the pieces which where soldered together to give off a clean finish of silver.